C-HUB – Mannheim`s centre for a new kind of working class
The „C-HUB – centre for creative industries“ is situated next to a connecting channel within a harbour area in the multicultural neighbourhood „Jungbusch“ where far more than half of its inhabitants are of foreign origin. The centre harbours more than 35 companies belonging to one of the sections of the creative industries: design, film, architecture, communication design, advertising industry and so on (except for the section „music“ as there is a certain funding for music in Mannheim called „The Mannheimer Modell“). The activiation of the centre started just recently on July 1st.
The centre itself is run by an affiliate, called „mg: mannheimer gründungszentren gmbh“, which belongs to the municipality of Mannheim. On round about 4000 square meters you can not only find office spaces but also meeting facilities and a conference room. These facilities can be rented by the tenants and also by externals against payment of a fee.
Besides these mentioned facilities there are also show-rooms where start-ups exhibit their products. All those who are interested in these products can buy them during the business hours which are mostly on fridays and saturdays .
C-HUB and its centre management offers far more than just facilities. The director of the centre focuses on consulting the young start-ups and networking within and outside of the building. C-HUB´s tenants have already managed to generate synergies amongst themselves event hough most of them have just moved into the building. We are looking ahead into a promising future J
Hard facts about C-HUB:
- the building covers an area of about 4000 square meters on 5 floors
- the building consists of a main building )with office spaces, show rooms, meeting facilities and a conference room) and an outbuilding which hosts a gastronomy and an art gallery
- 35 companies run their businesses within the main building
- Building costs: 14.8 Mio EUR, half of which where funded by the EU and the municipality of Mannheim
- Start-ups pay less: they get a founding bonus and pay 7.5 EUR per each square metre whereas established businesses pay 9.5 EUR per each square metre
- The municipality of Mannheim focuses on funding creative industries in Mannheim especially start-ups and young entrepreneurs